Let’s not kid ourselves, life sucks! It wears you down little by little. You may not even realize it’s happening until it’s a big problem, cue the prescription drugs!
Why do we allow it?
What’s with people thinking that if you practice self-care then you’re being selfish? What a load of crap!
Take a look at our society. Examples of what happens when we don’t take time for self-care is all around us. Illness, violence, divorce, child abuse, suicide, all the signs are there.
We just refuse to see them.
Doctors with prescription pads in hand, ready to write you a scrip for an antidepressant, then another to help combat the side-effects from it.
Rather than getting to the root of the problem, we just put a band-aid on it.
It’s out of control.
Let me say another way…it’s out of our control.
We cannot control society, but we can control ourselves and the actions we take in our lives.
We can decide when we need help and in what form that help will manifest.
Self-Care is knowing what you need and taking the steps to make that happen.
If that means you need to talk to someone to work through it, then see a therapist. If you are buried under a blanket of depression and can’t dig your way out alone, then, by all means, take the prescription drugs.
I’m giving you permission to take control of your life.
You do what’s right for you, damn the haters!
We can stop this behavior, or at least we can stop it in ourselves! Sometimes we just need to force ourselves to take action to get to the place we want to be.
It’s easier said than done though, am I right?
So how to we prevent our happiness from ceasing to exist?
It starts with Self-Care, plain and simple. You must take it seriously and make it a priority in your life.
It’s non-compulsory, not optional.
Stop the madness!
I know you are ready to do whatever it takes to start putting your health and wellness first.
This 30 Day Wellness Challenge is just what you need to make that change happen.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – self-care is vital to your physical and mental health.
It’s easy to sit back and do nothing to change our current mood or situation.
Wallowing in self-pity takes way less effort than taking charge and deciding things can be better.
Believe me, I do the same thing.
You tell yourself nothing will ever change. Nothing can help.
Don’t listen. Tell yourself to shut up! Negative thoughts are our own worst enemy. In order for self-care to work, you have to rein in your negativity and self-doubt first.
Mindset is everything.
Often times just changing the way you think about things can change how those things affect you.
Filling your mind with negativity breeds negative feelings and unhappiness.
Alternatively, keeping your thoughts in check and focusing on the positive, will make you feel better.
Telling yourself you can get better, and things can improve will give you a mental boost and turn you in the right direction for change.
Try using positive affirmations. Positive affirmations are bold statements you recite that help you overcome crippling negative thoughts. Write them on sticky notes and keep them in places where you will see them often, like on the fridge or on a mirror.
Now, we are going to feed off your newfound hope and determine what changes you need to make in order to feel happy.
How do we do that? Really it’s simple.
Committing to the challenge and really giving it our all will be the hard part.
30 Day Wellness Challenge – Find Your Happy Place
Now we’ve come to the fun part. Don’t believe me?
This 30-day challenge is all about you.
You are going to dig deep, discover things about yourself, and come out the other side a happier, healthier you.
The fun part is that you are also going to spoil yourself and discover things you love.
For the next 30 days, you are going to put yourself first.
So are you ready to begin?
Let’s do this!
I’ve made it super easy for you to jump right in and get started today.
All these wellness ideas you’re about to learn are also available in an easy to use calendar format.
All you need to do is put in the date you begin in the first square, then write the day of the week at the top of that column – now fill the rest of the dates and days and you’re all set.
Here’s what the calendar looks like for all you visual people out there(me included!)
This calendar will guarantee you stay focused on you and your well-being.
Sure you might be able to follow the 30 Day Wellness Challenge without the calendar, but I doubt it.
Struggling to stay focused and putting yourself first the reason we need this challenge in the first place. Like me, you aren’t good at putting your needs before those of your family.
What happens though, if you get ill because you aren’t taking care of yourself?
I guarantee your family wants you to be happy and healthy. You will better serve them when you are both of these.
I have the same problem. I too put my family’s needs before mine – every time.
TODAY THAT IS GOING TO CHANGE!
This calendar will serve as a visual reminder to make your needs a priority in your life.
Plus, it makes practicing self-care easy which in turn means you will actually have the time and energy to do it.
So now that we can admit that to ourselves, let’s grab that Calendar below and get it printed off so we can ensure our success with this challenge.
All you need to do is fill in the form below and I’ll send to you in your inbox.
Filling in the form also means you are agreeing to receive updates and more freebies from Green Teas & Chickpeas in the form of our newsletter emails.
Go ahead, grab your calendar now!
Now that you have the calendar in front of you, let’s talk about how you’re going to use it.
Every day, you will complete the challenge given. If for some reason you can’t do that challenge, just pick another one from that week to do.
Just make sure you go back and do the skipped one when it makes more sense for you.
Let’s talk about each challenge in more detail.
30 Day Wellness Challenge
- Commit to Drinking More Water – use a habit tracker if necessary, these are great tools to help keep you on track. Drinking more water will help you feel better, trust me, try it and see.
- Create a Bedtime Routine – doing the same things each night before bed will tell you mind and body that it’s time to sleep. Some ideas for a bedtime routine are turning off distractions, putting on PJs, having a warm caffeine-free beverage, washing your face, brushing your teeth, reading a book. Really anything that relaxes you can become part of this routine.
- Listen to Your Favorite Music – music can move you and take you back in time. Make a playlist of your favorite music and crank it up.
- Use a Face Mask – face masks feel so good! Find one with a scent and benefits you will love and put it on. You just might be amazed and how revitalized your skin and mood feel once you take it off. Check out this one we love – TONYMOLY I’m Real Hydrating Sheet Mask
- Treat Yourself to Something New – this doesn’t have to be that designer handbag you’ve been eyeing, but it certainly can be! This could be a fancy coffee or a new beauty item -anything you want it to be, just make it something you really want and know you’ll love.
- Bake Something – you don’t have to be Martha to bake something yummy. If baking isn’t your thing, grab a mix from the grocery store. If you love baking, then this challenge is for you. Find a recipe you’ve been wanting to try or dig up an old favorite. Be sure to indulge yourself by eating whatever you made, if you’re worried about having it around, take it to a friend to share with them.
- Spend Time Working on a Hobby – don’t have a hobby yet? Now’s the time to get one. Spend a good amount of time just enjoying your hobby. Some hobby ideas are painting, drawing, crafting, cooking, collecting, thrifting, building, decorating, the list could go on and on.
- Create a Morning Routine – similar to the bedtime routine, this routine helps you wake up and ready your mind and body for whatever your day brings. Some ideas to include in your morning routine are take a shower, exercise(yoga is awesome in the morning), take a walk, go for a run, drink water, drink tea or coffee, have breakfast, write in your journal.
- Exercise – I know it seems like I’m trying to push exercise on you, but the truth is, exercise helps your body create endorphins which will boost your mood – so there. This can be simple stretching in the backyard to heading out to the gym for a full-blown workout, totally up to you.
- Have a Healthy Mood-Boosting Smoothie – Get out your blender and get ready to feel energized! Here’s a yummy and healthy smoothie recipe to try out: 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup berries, 1/2 cup spinach, 1/2 a small banana, 1/2 an avocado.
- Play or Cuddle with Your Pet – pets are amazing at helping people lift their moods. Just petting your pet can lift you up and get you smiling. Don’t have a pet? No problem. Check with your local shelter to see if you can volunteer to social the cats.
- Clean Your Space – having a clean clutter-free space can do wonders to boost your mood. Clutter can make us feel trapped and uneasy. Keep your space stress-free and comfy.
- Hang Out with Your Favorite Person – whoever this may be for you, send them a text and make a plan to get together. Spending time catching up will boost your mood tenfold.
- Take a Day Trip – visit your favorite place or discover a new favorite.
- Have a Day with No Plans – take the pressure off. Spend the day doing whatever your mood determines. Whether it’s sleeping in or getting up early, do what feels best today and leave everything else for tomorrow.
- Start a Journal of Gratitude – writing down the things we have to be grateful for can help us to stay in that positive mindset. Take time each day to focus on the good in your life.
- Read a Book – think you don’t have time to read? Wrong! You can do it! Make reading part of your bedtime routine and you’ll get through that book you never thought you would in no time.
- Soak in the Tub – set the mood for relaxation by dimming the lights, lighting some candles, and plopping in an essential oil bath bomb. Grab a cool beverage and your book you didn’t think you had time to read and settle in for some you time.
- Drink Your Favorite Hot Beverage – this one’s low key and simple, just brew up your favorite coffee or tea, or maybe a delicious cup of hot cocoa is your go-to comfort drink.
- Go See a Show, Movie, or Play – take yourself out, go alone or with a companion, totally up to you. Check your local listings, this may take some planning ahead, so be sure to make time for that.
- Take a Class, Learn Something New – we never stop learning and our brains thrive when we challenge them. If time is an issue, take an online course that can be completed at your own pace.
- Volunteer – help out at a local animal shelter or soup kitchen, help a neighbor with a chore or walk their dog.
- Get and Use an Essential Oil Diffuser – essential oils can help with moods, research them to find one or two that will give you the boost you’re looking for, plus they smell great.
- Start a New Habit – not all habits are bad, challenge yourself to start a new good habit today. Maybe it’s doing the dishes after each meal or getting in 15 minutes of exercise each day. No matter what habit you want to form, using a habit tracker can keep you on task. We have a habit tracker you can download for free in our Member’s Library by the way.
- Color in an Adult Coloring Book – you can pick one up just about anywhere, grab some markers or colored pencils while you’re at it and get to coloring. Coloring helps you relax your mind and calm your thoughts. Color Sloths
- Go for a Walk – this is more about getting outside and taking in your surroundings, the exercise is a bonus.
- Take Yourself Out to Dinner – have you ever tried this before? Challenge yourself to do this one, you won’t regret it.
- Sleep in or Go to Bed Early – even if you have difficulty sleeping in or falling asleep early, stay in bed a little longer than usual. Just stretch and curl up in your blankets. This is a good chance to think about your day ahead or reflect on it.
- Get a Massage or Pedicure – if you aren’t comfortable or it doesn’t make sense financially for you to go have this done, you can do it yourself at home. Get yourself a neck massager or have a partner give you a massage. Give yourself a foot bath, scrub, lotion, and new polish for a do it yourself pedicure.
- Redecorate a Room in Your House – this doesn’t have to break the bank. Go thrifting or to a local antique shop to find amazing items for super cheap. Refreshing your space will lift your mood and make you want to be there.
So what do you think? This challenge is totally doable, right?
You got this, I believe in you!
I am challenging you to Find Your Happy Place in 30 Days.
Download the calendar so you can keep track of your progress.
Plan ahead so you are ready for each upcoming challenge to limit any excuses you may try to come up with.
Remember, you are doing this for yourself. You need this.
When your 30 days are up, come back here and leave a comment to share with us how it went for you. We’d love to hear from you and you can encourage others with your story.
Still need to grab your calendar? You can fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
Want to read more about self-care? Check out this post, A Beginner’s Guide to Self-Care where I go more in-depth about some of the info mentioned here.
Having trouble finding your motivation? Maybe it’s broken. Read about ways you can fix it here.
I hope you are as excited about this challenge as I am, I can’t wait to get started!