Connecting with teens can be difficult. Finding things to do together that you can both enjoy is challenging to say the least. Here is a list of 25 Ways to Reconnect with Your Teen to help you appreciate each other and have fun together.
Taking the time to connect with your teen is vital. They need you now more than ever, even if they don’t realize it.
They need to know you are a person they can trust and rely on.
Building a strong relationship with one another is so important for you both. Trust me, you’ll be thankful you took the time and put in the effort to strengthen your bond and build up that trust.
So where do we begin?
How often do you make a suggestion of an activity to do with your teen and they just look at you like you are super lame? Things we think are fun, might actually be torture for them.
Spending time together doesn’t have to feel forced.
This list of 25 ways to reconnect with your teen is sure to have activities you both will love doing. Who knows some of them might even become a regular pastime.
Alright, let’s take a look at that list…
- Share your favorite YouTube videos with each other
- Have a Cooking or Baking Competition
- Do Blind Taste Testing
- Go on a Dinner Date – let them choose the restaurant
- Movie Marathon – you each choose a movie or two
- Do something they really enjoy that you maybe haven’t tried
- Go Shopping and pick out an outfit for each other
- Get Crafty – make crafts together
- Start a Side Hustle together – sell stuff on ETSY or start a blog
- Visit an Arcade and compete with each other on classic games
- Share Each Other’s Favorite Songs
- Volunteer Together
- Take a Class together
- Have a Board Game Challenge
- Do a Selfie Scavenger Hunt – like this one we made
- Play a game of Would You Rather – a great way to learn about each other
- Plan a Trip
- Make a Video
- Book Club – read the same book, then discuss it – check these books out
- Take a Road Trip – let them drive
- Make Dinner Together
- Discuss Dreams for the Future
- Attend a Concert
- Go see a Movie at a Theater
- Go Geocaching
Let’s Make a Plan
Now that you have some ideas of what to do, how can you make these ideas into a solid plan of action?
- Print out this list and go over it together.
- Decide ahead of time what you will do and the steps needed to make it happen.
- Put the activity on your schedule so you can be sure to make it a priority.
Some Simple Guidelines for Success:
- Be sure to make spending time together feel like a priority and not something you’re being forced to do.
- Commit to enjoying yourself, even if the activity isn’t something you’d normally choose.
- Remember that what’s important is the time and interest you are showing to your teen, this is what they’ll remember. They need to feel you care about them and genuinely want to be with them at that moment.
- Be Present – Leave your phone in your bag or at home, give them your undivided attention and ask them to do the same.
- Keep a positive attitude. Even if things maybe aren’t exactly what you expected, staying positive will ensure you a better time than if you complain about it.
Wanna print this out to have for later?
You can grab this list as a handy checkoff sheet by filling in the form below.
Filling in the form with also sign you up to receive our newsletter in your inbox. Our newsletter lets you know when new content is available on this website as well as offering you more freebies.
You will also gain access to our Member’s Library that is already full of free printables.
30-Day List Journaling Challenge!
Begin your journey of self introspection and growth with this 30-day challenge!
Let us help inspire and motivate you with 30 days of email prompts to guide you on your path to self awareness.
Teens need us now more than ever. Time spent with them really connecting is vital to their well-being and your relationship.
You should be someone they can trust and feel comfortable confiding in.
Spending time building a solid relationship with them will only bring you closer and make your bond stronger.
Pick out an activity you both will enjoy and commit to making it happen.
Follow the simple guidelines to ensure the time spent together is fulfilling and enjoyable.
Commit to spending time together regularly and put it on your schedule to ensure it takes priority and isn’t forgotten.
Hopefully, this list has given you some new and interesting ideas for you to try out and help reconnect with your teen.
Which activity will you try first?
If you do end up trying one of our ideas, please leave us a comment below to let us know how it went, we’d love to hear all about it.
Until Next Time…
By the way, we also offer an amazing Road Trip Planner over at our TPT store if you are serious about letting your teen plan a trip. Check it out right here.