Being kind doesn’t take a lot of time or effort. Honestly, just a smile, an encouraging word, or a simple thank you is all it takes to show kindness to someone. With World kindness day coming up on November 13th, I wanted to share with you these 10 simple ways to practice kindness today.
A little kindness goes a long way. A little tolerance and understanding can make a big difference in people’s lives. Kindness can completely change someone’s day. It can make them feel like they are important, and like they matter.
Don’t you want to make someone feel like that?
What about being kind to yourself? That is just as important. Your mind filled with negativity can be your own worst enemy.
What does it mean to be kind?
Simply put, it means to act in a friendly, considerate, or generous way towards yourself and others.
Being considerate means to show careful thought and to not cause her towards others.
To be generous is being ready and willing to give more of something such as money or time than is expected.
Why should you care about showing kindness?
As I said, a little kindness goes a long way.
A little tolerance and understanding can make a big difference in someone’s life.
Kindness can completely change someone’s day. It can make them feel like they are valuable and are needed. You don’t know what that person might be going through right now, your kind gesture may be precisely the thing that they need to help them keep going.
Don’t you want to be the sort of person who makes other people feel good about themselves?
What does it mean to be kind to yourself?
I think oftentimes we tend to be our harshest critics. We are harder on ourselves than anyone else in our lives and we struggle to forgive ourselves when we make mistakes.
Being kind to yourself means:
- Stopping negative self-talk
- Learning how to forgive yourself
- Building up your self-confidence
- Not comparing yourself to others
- Taking care of yourself
- Respecting yourself and setting boundaries
- Giving yourself a pat on the back when you do a good job
- Accepting yourself for who you are
- Treating yourself the way you treat others
What are 10 simple ways to practice kindness?
- Smile and say hello to people today
- This doesn’t have to be anything crazy, just a quick smile or a little hello or how are you is all that’s needed to make a difference in someone’s day.
- Text a compliment to three people
- Think of 3 genuine compliments you can give to three people in your life, then send away. Your kind words might be exactly what they needed to hear right then.
- Write 10 sticky notes with words of encouragement and place them in random public locations
- Imagine their surprise when they find a few encouraging words posted to the mirror in a public restroom or on page 10 of the library book they just borrowed.
- Post four pieces of positivity on social media
- The best part of this activity is that it can potentially reach so many people. Plus the internet can always use more positivity!
- Pay for the person behind you in line
- Surprise someone behind you in the drive-thru or at the check stand by paying for their purchases, no strings attached. Who knows, they might just pay it forward and do the same for the person behind them.
- Leave a generous tip
- This is a great way to show someone they are doing a good job. Leave a much larger tip than would normally be expected, it might just be what they need to keep them going.
- Bring your co-workers or treat
- Show your co-workers some kindness with a round of coffees or baked goods. Who doesn’t need another cup of coffee after all?
- Pamper yourself
- Treat yourself to a spa day, your favorite coffee, or by yourself that sweater you’ve been eyeballing all season
- Volunteer your time or donate to those in need
- Look for volunteer opportunities locally or donate to food banks shelters in your area.
- Send or hand out “thank you” notes
- There’s nothing quite like receiving a physical card, especially in the mail, maybe it’s because they are becoming rarer and rarer.
There you have it!
Being kind doesn’t have to be difficult. I’ve just shown you 10 simple ways to practice kindness that you can start doing right now.
Looking for more ways to be kind to yourself?
A great way to show yourself a little kindness is by practicing self-care.
We have a great tool for you that give you a complete and ready to go plan for self-care. This plan will ensure you find a way to fit wellness into your schedule. This tool is our Monthly Self-Care Calendar Subscription.
These Self-Care Calendars are sent directly to your inbox each month and offer you a wellness activity for every day of that month. Did I mention they’re also free? Yep, that’s right, completely free and easy to use.
Just fill out the form below to subscribe. By filling out the form, you agree to receive emails from Green Teas & Chickpeas. These emails include our weekly newsletters which are full of our latest updates, subscriber exclusives, and freebies. Go ahead, fill out the form to get started, see you on the other side.
Get Your Monthly Calendar Subscription!
Fill in the form below to subscribe to our newsletter which includes our monthly self-care calendars. Complete self-care ideas planned for you each month and delivered straight to your inbox.
Our subscribers also receive exclusive offers, our latest product info, and weekly newsletter!
Plus, you'll get a copy of our 15 Daily Affirmation Cards just for signing up.
Like this article? Here are a few others we think you’ll like too: