You have probably been hearing a lot of buzz about self-care lately, am I right? Knowing what self-care is and ways you can make it part of your daily routine can be two different things. So let’s talk about 10 easy ways to practice self-care and start a self-love routine.
This post includes affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I might make a small commission if you decide to buy something and this money will be used to maintain this website so I can keep offering you free goodies. Although I may make a small commission, all opinions are my own.
Wondering what I mean when I say practice self-care? It’s kinda hard to do something if you don’t understand what that something is, right?
No problem though, check out this article that is basically Self-Care 101.
Now that you have a good understanding of the term self-care and some basic ideas for how you can do it, let’s dive in a bit deeper.
You may notice these ideas were mentioned in a previous post where they were presented as a basic list of ideas to try.
A list of simple ideas is great.
A list with detailed information about how to implement these ideas is better by far.
And so I give you…
10 Ways You Can Practice Self-care: An In-depth Look
1. Work on an existing hobby or find a new one.
Do you already have a hobby you love doing, but can’t find the time to do?
Or is there something you’ve always wanted to try, but can’t fit it into your schedule?
Make your hobby part of your schedule.
An easy way to do this is to sign up for a class or session. It will hold you accountable so you actually do it.
Not into classes? That’s okay, I’m not either.
That’s where Youtube comes in.
You can find tutorials for just about any hobby. With a quick search, you can hobby your way to relaxation.
Need some hobby ideas? Check out Pinterest.
2. Drink a Healthy Smoothie
Smoothies are a great way to put some pep in your step.
You can make them out of basically anything you like.
Here are the basic ingredients for a healthy smoothie:
- a liquid – juice, water, green tea, non-dairy milk are all great choices
- frozen fruit – peaches, strawberries, blueberries, acai, and bananas make amazing additions
- vegetables – spinach, kale, and carrots will add a terrific vitamin boost
- protein – avocado, chia seeds, or nut butter
Experiment with ingredients to make some delicious smoothies.
Need a recipe? Here you go.
3. Soak, Relax, Unwind
I’m talking about taking a nice long bath.
I love taking baths.
Even if your bathtub isn’t all big and fancy, you can still make it a spa-like experience with a few tweaks.
- Dim the lights or turn them off altogether
- Light some candles
- Play some meditative music and a low volume
- Use bath bombs, bubbles, or salts to add some essential oil therapy and to make it look cool
- Keep the room and bath temperature at a comfortable level – you don’t want to get chilled and you certainly don’t want to become overheated
- Read a book while soaking
- Have a glass of something cold to drink – this can be water infused with lemon and ginger or a small glass of your favorite wine(no judgment here!)
A fantastic hobby idea you can use in the bath is to make your own bath bombs. We love doing this!
Want a tutorial for making bath bombs? Check out these ideas.
4. Give yourself a facial/use a face mask
We recently bought one of those electric facial cleaning brushes and let me tell you, it’s totally worth it. Here’s the one we bought.
It came with a couple of different brushes and a sponge. Use the brushes to cleanse and exfoliate your face with a mild face wash.
The sponge is used to massage your skin and to help it absorb your moisturizer.
Another way to give your skin some much-needed attention is with face masks.
They are so fun and feel great!
Here are a few we like:
- TONYMOLY I’m Real Hydrating Mask Sheet
- I DEW CARE Mini Meow Face Mask Trio Set
- Celavi Essence Facial Face Mask
5. Play with your pet
Playing with a pet can be very therapeutic. Plus it’s fun for your pet too.
Don’t have a pet?
Here are a few things you can do instead:
- Volunteer at an animal shelter and pet some cats.
- Watch cute dog or cats videos on Youtube
- Offer to help out a friend or relative with their pet
6. Read a book
I love reading!
Cozy up in your pj’s and slippers by the fireplace(if you have one) and read a good story.
I love escaping from my mind for a bit while reading. I read every night when I get into bed, it helps me clear my mind of troubles so I fall asleep quickly.
I prefer reading on my kindle and get most of my books for free from my local library. You can too with the Libby app.
Here are a few books I recommend reading:
- Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah
- It All Comes Back to You by Beth Duke
- Little Fires Everywhere: A Novel by Celeste Ng
- Maybe You Should Talk To Someone by Lori Gottlieb
7. Color in an adult coloring book
Adult coloring books can be found on just about any subject.
Grab some colored pencils or markers and your favorite coloring book.
I like to play some music while I color, it’s very relaxing.
Don’t have any adult coloring books?
We just created an adult coloring book for self-care affirmations! You can grab your digital copy right now and start coloring in it right away!
Here’s a free sample page you can grab right here.
If you like that sample, then you’re going to love the entire booklet which includes beautiful 12 pages!
Grab your copy of our Self-Care Affirmations Adult Coloring Book in our store, just click here to check it out.
You can also pick up one from Amazon, here are some of our favorites:
- Coffee Animals Coloring Book
- Stained Glass Coloring Book: Nature and Landscapes
- A Snarky Adult Colouring Book: Some People Need a High-Five, In the Face
- Sloth Coloring Book for Adults
8. Get out of the house
Fresh air will do wonders for your mood.
Go on a short walk around your neighborhood or visit a nearby park.
If you don’t feel up to leaving your yard, you can grab a blanket and sit or lay under a tree. Perhaps you could spend the time reading one of the aforementioned books or just meditating.
Wanna learn more about deep breathing or meditation? Google has some great options.
9. Sip a hot beverage
We are tea fans around here, I’m sure you’ve noticed.
There’s just something so soothing about sitting in my favorite spot with my favorite cup of tea. Sipping slowly and reveling in the warm liquid as it calms and relaxes me.
Teas can affect your moods.
If you want to relax try an herbal blend of chamomile and lemon. Need a boost of energy?
Try green tea or matcha with honey and almond milk.
If you are new to drinking tea or just looking for new ones to try, follow us on Instagram to see the new teas we are taste testing for National Tea Month.
Want to see some amazing teas and gifts we recommend? Check out this article Amazing Tea Gifts for Tea Lovers.
10. Get a massage
Personally, I have never had a professional massage. I’m self-conscious of my back and just can’t get over myself and go for it.
That said though, I have had some pretty good massages from my husband.
If you’re carrying a bunch of stress around, it’s likely affecting your shoulders and neck making them feel tight and sore.
Invest in a little massage oil, turn down the lights and let someone massage the tension away.
Looking for a great massage oil? This one is a candle and oil all in one and it smells amazing!
If you’re braver than I, make an appointment and let a professional do the job. I’m sure it’s amazing, maybe someday I’ll find out for myself, maybe.
Self-care doesn’t always have to mean time-consuming but should be a priority in your life.
Pick one or more of these 10 easy ideas and go do them, right now.
I know you have a book lying around your house and your pet is just waiting for some attention.
So what self-care will you take today?
Leave a comment below to tell us ways you take care of yourself and how doing so has changed your life.
Want to take the next step in self-care?
Then you need to make a plan for making self-care an essential part of your everyday routine.
I can help you do just that with these handy guides to creating self-care routines:
- Want to start with a morning routine? Check out 4 No-Fuss Ways to Figuring Out Your Morning Routine
- Or if you want to set-up a nighttime routine, you’ll want to read this Step by Step Guide to Creating A Good Nighttime Routine
Looking to make self-care a part of your regular routine? We’ve got just the thing! Our Monthly Self-Care Calendar subscription! It’s self-care made simple and done for you. All you need to do is subscribe to our newsletter which not only includes the calendars, but is also packed full of wellness tips, current events, and subscriber exclusive freebies.
All you have to do to sign up is fill in the form below. Go ahead, it’s time to start putting your health first.